Every day, consumers use the Internet to get advice before making purchases. They’re getting a lot of this advice through reviews found on local business directories like Google Local™ and Yelp®. If your business isn’t listed completely and accurately on as many sites as possible, you’re missing out on a big opportunity.
Get Found Online – An Example
Local businesses listed in Google Local are prominently displayed.
These reviews matter to both consumers and businesses. Consumers value reviews – a study done by Nielsen showed that 92% of people trust word-of-mouth, while only 33% trust online ads**. It’s critical that your business is not only listed online, but also has word-of-mouth credibility online.
Claim Your Business’ Listings
The fact is, many free online business directories might be displaying your business reviews today without you even knowing it, and often, the information is inaccurate. Your customers might already be writing reviews about your business on these local review websites and potential customers are reading them. You need to find, claim and verify your business information on these directories.
Another great benefit from business listings is that you can increase your rankings on search engines like Google®, Yahoo!® and Bing®. For example, Google favors small businesses that have detailed profiles on Google Local.
Search engines typically pull information from business listing sites – Yelp, TripAdvisor®, and others — and display them under your website address for local search results.
Get Your Business Listed in Free Online Directories
- Search for your business online and see what comes up. Look at which business listing sites that search engine pulls reviews from.
- Visit those business listing sites, create an account, and either claim yourself as the business owner or create a complete and accurate listing for your business. By claiming the business, you can leave comments on customer reviews. This is especially important for managing negative reviews.
- Start asking your customers to leave a review of your business. When a customer gives you good feedback, ask them to share their experience on a local review website. The more reviews you have, the stronger your reputation is. That can equal more business.
- Don’t be afraid of a bad review. If you come across one, leave a comment and invite the customer to contact you so you can have a chance to win back their business. This shows the customer you have integrity and shows a potential customer that you care.
Keeping track of all of your reviews and comments can be time consuming so consider using a program that monitors these reviews for you like Road2xl Search Engine Visibility. When you have a new comment to review or a new listing to create, the program can walk you through the process and you can set up automatic alerts.
Your customers and potential customers are already using local reviews to find businesses so jump in and take advantage of them. You will get honest feedback on what your customers appreciate about your products and services and you can build your brand at the same time.
* BIA/Kelsey User View Wave VII Survey