Email marketing is an invaluable tool for nurturing your relationship with customers. But before you can send out that first e-blast, you need to build a solid list of email subscribers.
Fact: Existing customers spend 33% more than new customers.
Fact: It costs six times more to attract and sell to a new customer than it does to sell to an existing customer.
Follow the Rules
Your subscriber list should be permission-based, which means your subscribers need to agree to be on your email list. Sending unsolicited email is a sure way to get your email address flagged as spam and get banned from using many email marketing products. To avoid this, you should use email addresses from clients who know your product, respect your work, and give you permission to send them your email campaigns.
Tip: Don’t purchase a list of email addresses it may break anti-spam laws, which could cause you serious legal trouble.
The more information you can gather from your customers, the more you can tailor your messages to their needs and interests. Consider asking your customers to share some basic information demographic data, interests, activities, etc. in your sign-up form, but always make it optional and keep it simple so they complete the sign up form.
Tip: Don’t want to ask for information on your sign-up form’ Send a quick survey once they’ve signed up.
What Makes a Good Email List
Here are some proven methods for building your list:
- Give potential subscribers a reason to join your mailing list. Send something of value like exclusive discounts or behind-the-scenes access not just “buy now” emails.
- Offer insights customers won’t find anywhere else, such as personal “tips and techniques” or details on events relevant to your business.
- Add links to your sign-up form on your Facebook® fan page or anywhere else you have a Web presence.
- Encourage new visitors to sign up when they create an account or make a purchase.
- Offer visitors an on-the-spot deal or discount just for signing up.
- Tweet a sign-up link with a special offer and let customers know they’ll get more exclusive deals when they sign up.
- Post previous and current email campaigns on social networking sites so people can see what they’re missing. Be sure to include a link to your sign-up form.
- If you’re attending a conference, trade show or event related to your business, place an email sign-up sheet in your booth.
- Place a subscriber link in your email signature, such as “Sign up to receive exclusive offers, insider tips and more.”
Quick Solution: Road2xl Express Email Marketing not only helps you create eye-catching emails, it also has a ready-made sign-up form, list manager, and much more.
Take your time
Building an email list is not something you can do overnight, so don’t get frustrated and ignore it because it’s too small those first people who signed up are your best advertisers! If you send them valuable emails on a consistent (but not constant) schedule, they’ll start sharing them with friends and your list will start growing exponentially. It just takes a few to get started, so add a sign up list to your website today!